New York State Office of General Services Commissioner RoAnn Destito announced the 2019 Summer at the Plaza series of free community events that will be presented at the Empire State Plaza in Albany. Summer at the Plaza will feature family-friendly concerts, movies, and festivals starting with the annual July 4 celebration.
Mandolin legend David Grisman, Styx frontman Dennis DeYoung, hip hop pioneers Salt N’ Pepa, and rockabilly guitarist Brian Setzer are among the artists scheduled to perform at the Plaza this summer, starting with the annual Fourth of July fireworks and food festival, which draws 20,000 to downtown Albany every Independence Day.
“Thousands of people come to our free Summer at the Plaza events each year with their family, friends and neighbors to enjoy the great entertainment, delicious food and beverages, and the amazing fireworks at New York State’s Independence Day celebration,” Destito said. “We have an exciting lineup of concerts, festivals, and movies this year with something for everyone, and I want to thank our generous 2019 sponsors whose support makes it all possible.”
Wednesday night concert series
The Capital Concert Series presented by Miller Lite offers four concerts free to the public. Music begins at 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 17 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. The Wallflowers
- Wednesday, July 24 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. Stephen Marley
- Wednesday, July 31 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. Eric Paslay
- Wednesday, August 14, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. Salt-N-Pepa
Lunchtime at the Plaza
Twelve weeks of lunchtime music, food trucks and a farmer’s market every Wednesday on the Plaza from June – August. Lunchtime concerts begin at noon.
- June 5 — Kyle Bourgault Band
- June 12 — Chris Dukes Band
- June 19 — Jay Maloney and Ted Hennessey
- June 26 — Mixed Roots Reggae
- July 10 — The Stray Dogs
- July 17 — Heard Jazz
- July 24 — Hartley’s Encore
- July 31 — Red Haired Strangers
- August 7 — The Troy Music Academy
- August 14 — Old Time Dance Band
- August 21 — Knot Dead
- August 28 — Wurliday
- Thursday, July 4, 3 – 10 p.m. New York State’s 4th of July Celebration presented by Price Chopper & Market 32 featuring Dennis DeYoung and the Music of Styx
- Saturday, July 13, noon – 5 p.m. Kids Day presented by MVP Health Care featuring Beat Bugs
- Saturday, August 3, 2 – 7 p.m. Black Arts & Cultural Festival featuring Mýa
- Wednesday, August 7, 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. New York State Food Festival featuring Brian Setzer’s Rockabilly Riot
- Wednesday, September 18, 5 – 9 p.m. Hops & Harvest Festival, featuring The Dawg Trio with David Grisman, Sam Grisman, and Danny Barnes
- Saturday, September 28, 6 – 10 p.m. Hispanic Heritage Celebration featuring Toby Love
Capitol Park After Dark Movies Series
Outdoor movie nights return to Albany on two Wednesday nights in August, featuring classic films suitable for the entire family.
- Wednesday, August 21, 8 p.m. “Double Indemnity”
- Wednesday, August 28, 8 p.m. “My Fair Lady”
Jazz on the Plaza
In its third year, the Jazz on the Plaza concert series features two free jazz performances this summer on the patio of Cornerstone at the Plaza.
- Wednesday, September 4, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. Doc Scanlon
- Wednesday, September 11, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. Fleur Seule
All of the Summer at the Plaza events are FREE. Free parking is available in the East Garage and the Cathedral, Madison, and Grand Street parking lots on Saturdays during At the Plaza events. Free parking is also available in the East Garage after 4 p.m. for weeknight events. Paid parking is available in the visitor lot underneath the plaza.
No alcoholic beverages, coolers (defined as rigid insulated containers), or glass containers of any kind, animals or pets, other than ADA-defined service animals, will be allowed. Alcohol will be sold by vendors to adults with proper identification.
For event updates and additional information on opening acts, visit empirestateplaza.ny.gov, @EmpireStatePlaza on Facebook, and @plazaevents on Twitter or call (518) 474-4759.