Senate Finance Committee Chair Catharine Young and Assembly Ways and Means Committee Chair Herman Farrell, Jr. announced the Joint Legislative Hearing Schedule on the 2017-2018 Executive Budget proposal.
These hearings, each of which focuses on a programmatic area, are intended to provide the appropriate legislative committees with public input on the Executive Budget proposal. The hearings will be available for viewing on the Senate and Assembly websites. The Legislative Channel (on cable systems throughout the state) also will carry the proceedings, which will be preempted when the houses are in session. At the conclusion of the legislative deliberations, the channel will resume televised coverage of the hearings.
In accordance with the schedule, the hearings will commence on Tuesday, January 24, and conclude on Tuesday, February 28, 2017. The respective state agency or department heads will begin testimony each day, followed by witnesses who have signed up to testify on that area of the budget. Those that have signed up to testify must limit comments to no more than 10 minutes.
Requests to testify must be made by contacting the appropriate person listed on the schedule no later than the close of business, two business days prior to the respective hearing. Because of time constraints only a limited number of witnesses can be accommodated at any given hearing. For each individual testifying before the committees, it is required that 50 copies of their written testimony be provided to the registration desk at each respective hearing.
Hearings will be held in Hearing Room B, Legislative Office Building, Albany
The schedule is as follows:
- January 24 Tuesday 9:30AM Higher Education
- January 25 Wednesday 10:00AM Workforce Development
- January 30 Monday 10:00AM Local Government Officials/ General Government
- January 31 Tuesday 9:30AM Public Protection
- February 1 Wednesday 9:30AM Economic Development
- February 7 Tuesday 9:30AM Taxes
- February 8 Wednesday 9:30AM Human Services
- February 9 Thursday 9:30AM Housing
- February 13 Monday 9:30AM Environmental Conservation
- February 14 Tuesday 9:30AM Elementary & Secondary Education
- February 15 Wednesday 9:30AM Transportation
- February 16 Thursday 9:30AM Health/Medicaid
- February 28 Tuesday 10:00AM Mental Hygiene